Tuesday, July 7, 2015

4th of July 2015

I was lucky to have an extra long holiday weekend to celebrate the 4th of July this year. Friday morning didn't start out quite like I would have liked, my phone charger cord stopped working. Since my phone wasn't even half charged I drove over to Wal-Mart before any other store opened up and picked up a new cord. Then I realized I forgot to pack contacts and had to drive all the way back to my apartment and grab those. Just as I hit the interstate, my ride called and said she'd be at my parents in 15 minutes.

Luckily we were ahead of schedule even with my delay and we beat everyone else to the cabin.

Once we finished unloading the car, the boys arrived from their golf tournament and just behind them, another couple arrived just in time to get on the boat.

We took a cruise out to what they've dubbed 'Whore Island'. When we arrived we thought there would be a bunch of drunk folks around our ages. Instead we find nothing but families and kids playing in the water and swinging from a tree.

The water was a bit chilly so the girls hung out on the boat while the boys played beers-be/fris-beer in the water. We headed back to the cabin when we got the call that the final family arrived.

We spent the evening grilling up burgers and brats while watching the kids play in their kiddie pool on the deck.

The morning of July 4th I was the first person up. That should come as no surprise to anyone. Since there were people sleeping all over the cabin, I got myself dressed and spent the morning on the dock, listening to music and getting some early rays.

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. I love getting decked out in my red, white and blue, listening to country music, belting out God Bless the USA, grilling up everything and anything you can grill and finishing the day with amazing displays of fireworks. This all is even better when it's done on/near a body of water.

After everyone else woke we fueled ourselves with a nice big breakfast and then loaded the coolers with lunch and beverages and made our way to a local bar on the water to play some sand volleyball. After a hot and sweaty game, my team won, we ventured out once again to whore Island. A little more whore-y, but still, quite a bit of kiddos.

Again, the boys played their games and the girls did a lot of floating. We headed over to where the big fireworks display would be later on and there was a live band playing. We anchored out a ways and floated while listening to the band before heading back for naps and dinner.

When fireworks time rolled around we were moving pretty slow, but we did make it back out on the lake for a big show. There were so many boats out, it looked like a small city on the water.

Sunday morning everyone was up nice and early and got to work cleaning the cabin and putting everything back where we found it. Mike and I then headed over to my family cabin for a relaxing day since we both had Monday off of work.

When we finally arrived it was pretty windy so we sat around with the neighbors and caught up with my parents about the weekend.

We started to notice a few boats out at the sand bar, so we took a shot that it would be calm over there, and it was! We dug our chairs in the sand and had a few beverages while enjoying the last bit of sun for the weekend.

When we woke up on Monday it was cold and rainy so we took our time packing up and Mike headed out and then I rode home with my mom and the dogs. It was nice to have Monday off and to be able to relax and mentally prepare to get back to work.

I hope everyone had a great long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment