Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Weekend Review 23: Birthday and Labor Day

If you live in the Midwest then you know Labor Day really signaled the unofficial end of Summer. We were greeted with cooler temps and plenty of rain.

As sad as I am to see Summer go, I'm looking forward to hiding my badly misquito bitten legs for a few months, purchasing some new boots and wrapping up in soft flannel and cozy sweaters. Luckily I think we still have a couple more weeks before the flip flops and swim suits will officially retire.

I need to back up a bit here, so forgive me if this post is a tad long.

Tuesday I celebrated my 30th birthday. It feels a little surreal seeing that '3' at the beginning of my age, but c'est la vie. I went to work as any responsible 30 year old does and we had a cupcake party with cupcakes from Woullet bakery, which are delicious, and then I played hookie for the rest of the day.

My mom met me on the patio of The Local. My dad, and sisters later joined and we were greeted by all the servers and bartenders we would see on a weekly basis way back when The Local was where my dad would do a lot of entertaining for business.

We had 6:30 dinner reservations at Burch, which I had been wanting to try ever since it opened. I'm so glad mom and dad agreed to letting us go there because it was a fantastic meal, the service was great, the atmosphere is buzzing with conversations. All around, a wonderful choice to celebrate a birthday or just to celebrate making it through a Monday.

The family gifted me this beauty.

Well, actually, they gifted me a picture of the bike. It's still getting some final touches. Like making sure the tire turns when you turn the handles. Details. I can't wait to get on the bike since I live right off the Greenway and it's been close to a decade since I've tried to ride one that's not mounted to the ground.

Ok, on to the weekend.

Thursday I stopped by the Farmers Market on Nicollet Mall, one of the things I'll miss dearly once Fall is officially here. I picked up some tomatoes and the freshest, juiciest jalapenos I ever did see and made some of my salsa to bring up to the cabin. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, so I'll take that as a win.

Kari and I headed up to the cabin Friday afternoon and after changing routes to avoid some pretty nasty traffic, we were at the cabin just in time to head to Jed's for 2-4-1's! The restaurant was completely packed so we didn't hang out long, or even participate in the meat raffle. Instead we headed back to the cabin, grabbed some beverages and wandered over to the neighbors for a little bon fire action.

I had a couple friends come up on Saturday, unfortunately it was quite chilly so there was no water activity, so we did what we do best. We drank. We started the day with mimosas and moved on to some cider after that. We went to bed early, but not before a special guest stopped by.

Sunday was incredibly windy, but the sun was out and temps were rising. We played lots of bags, listened to music and watched the dogs learn to jump off the end of the dock after their tennis balls as we chased the sun with our chairs to get the most out of the day.

With storms rolling in, Bridget and Andy left late afternoon and we headed over to the neighbors to bug them while they wrapped up their work for the day. Everyone was glued to their radars wondering when these big storms were going to hit and since the sky just kept looking good, we were able to have a fire before one quick down pour that flooded our yard all over again.

The only thing that would have made this weekend better would have been if the water was warm and we could have floated all day long. But, I successfully made it through my first holiday as a 30 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment