Monday, September 16, 2013

Weekend Review: She said 'YES!'

This weekend was definitely one for the books. For a couple of weeks now, we knew there was a secret agenda, and that we had to be at the cabin this weekend. My cousin was getting engaged! The weekend started like most do. My family had a fire at our place, drank too much and got in to some heated discussions that only come about when it's late and we've found ourselves at the bottom of the bottle.

Saturday comes around and it's a new day. It's THE day! My cousin Pam came up and she had no idea that there was a special event going on later that night. When we told her what was going on, she jumped for joy and I'm pretty sure had she kept jumping, she would have jumped through the ceiling. We got together with Erin and Obrian and we all went for a hike in the woods.

There wasn't a whole lot to see, but we did scare off a very large deer. Pam said it had the biggest rack she's ever seen, so that should tell you it was pretty big. When we got in the car after the second trail, we came across an eagle that was dragging a porcupine across the road. It was so cool! Have you ever seen an eagle on the ground only a few feet from you? It stood at least 3 feet tall and it's wing span was half the road. Just beautiful.

After our hike, we headed back to our cabin to play some lawn games. Giant Jenga has been such a huge hit this summer. Our fist game lasted nearly an hour and was as tall as most of us. I'd say we average 5'8". The best thing was, no one lost! The wind knocked it down, womp, womp. We moved on to bags before Erin and OB had to head back to their side of the lake for dinner.

Just as we were making dinner, the rain came, and never stopped. We had 'plans' to go to the Kotoski's after dinner for one last boat ride and a fire, but instead, Erin, OB and Amy came over to our cabin to play some Apple's to Apple's. My mom was in her room 'not feeling well' and after only 20 minutes, came out and asked if everyone could leave (as she was smirking) because she wasn't feeling well. So, Erin, OB and Amy headed back and as they pulled out of site, we loaded up the truck and met Erin's family at the Hertle Turtle (a gas station/restaurant/casino).

OB drove Erin and Amy to their cabin and when Erin got out of the car, into the pouring rain, Amy jumped in the front seat and her and OB met everyone else at the Hertle Turtle while Erin walked up to her cabin to find Tony waiting under the gazebo, surrounded with candles, and a ring in his hand!

When we got the 'all-clear' we all met at the Kotoski cabin to celebrate with champagne and dessert and bombard Erin and Tony with all the typical questions, have you set a date? What are your wedding colors? Where are you getting married? Can I officiate?

The thing about Erin and Tony, is that they are that couple who you know will be together. When we all first met him, it was obvious that he was it, he was the one. I'm so happy it only took a year for them to get to this point because I can't wait to celebrate with them at their wedding.

Sunday we all just got up and headed home so we could make it back in time to watch the Vikings lose.

I am so happy that our family got to be a part of such a special day for Erin and Tony. This will be a weekend I definitely won't forget.

Sami's Shenanigans