Monday, March 25, 2013

Vacation recap and weekend review

Hello blog land. I'm officially back online and really missing Mexico.

First, let's start with Mexico Vacation Part 1.

I left for Mexico a week and a half ago from Minneapolis. It was cold and the snow was falling.

The Minneapolis/St. Paul airport has had a lot of nice upgrades since the last time I flew. There is an Ike's, which, if you live in the MSP area or fly in/out of the airport, I'd suggest going their for breakfast.

Steak and eggs with bernaise sauce. I took the extra PB&J on the table and had that with toast on the trip. Clever idea so you don't have to waste half a jar of each.

We had pre-flight mimosas too. Ike's makes fresh squeezed orange juice which was delicious!

Our flight was a little delayed, but now all the gates are loaded with docking stations with ipads to use or where you can charge your device.

Once we got on the plane though, it didn't take long before we pulled out from the gate and headed for Mexico!

Doesn't this just give you goosebumps? It was a cold snowy morning.

We arrived in Puerto Vallarta around 12:30 in the afternoon and spent two glorious hours waiting in line to get through customs.

Our hotel is in Nuevo Vallarta, about 15 minutes north of the airport. We quickly checked out our room which was huge, then headed to the Mega, which is a giant supermarket, like Wal-Mart.

This was just one of the balconies. I had one off my room with a table and chairs. My parents had a master bedroom with jacuzzi tub and double vanity. I had a king bedroom with my own bathroom and kitchenette and between the rooms was a full size kitchen, 1/2 bath and living room.

Once we were settled in the room and the groceries were put away, we headed into Bucerias for dinner, which is about 10 minutes North of Nuevo Vallarta. It's a sleepy little town with a lot of beach restaurants.

We went to this one

There were only two good things about this place. 1 The sunset.

And 2, the salsa.

They even let us go in the kitchen and watch the cook chop everything up. It's almost exactly like the salsa my parents make, only this one included salt and lemon. It was really good.

The first travel day was pretty good and it felt like our morning flight was days ago. Stay tuned for more vacation recaps.


I'm not really sure where my vacation ended and the weekend began since I decided not to go in to work on Friday.

I went over to the Man Friends place on Friday and he cooked us a tasty taco lasagna and his roommate and his girlfriend joined us. The guy is impressive in the kitchen. After dinner we all headed out to Harriett Brew for some beers. They had a band called i like you. They were fun to listen to and are on itunes if you want to check them out. A little hippy, but there's a kazoo and ukulele, so of course that's awesome. After a delicious dinner and a couple craft beers, we all went back to the guys place and watched Zero Dark Thirty, which I think we all agreed was really good. It was fun to kind of make it a double date and get to know his roommate and his girlfriend.

Saturday was basically spent catching up on laundry. I had no idea I brought so much clothes on vacation! 5 loads of washing and folding clothes and sheets makes for a long day. I also made some chicken wild rice soup. You can find a post about how I make it here. There's nothing better than homemade soup. I met the Man Friend and his sister out for a drink at Town Hall. He really looks up to her and values her opinion on who he is dating so I was a tad nervous to meet her. She's only in town for a couple days but I think it all went well. I woke up to a FB message and her friend request, so I'll give it two thumbs up.

Sunday started out as a typical Sunday. Hanging out at my parents and planning out my grocery list. Then things took a little twist. I got a text from my cousin asking if I was going to go visit my grandma. She's been in hospice for close to a year now and has really taken a turn for the worse lately. As I write this, I'm waiting for my parents to get back from the cabin so we can go see her one last time....(Several hours later) We spent a few hours with my Grandma and at any given moment there was no less than 12 family members in the room with her. She had 8 kids and 20 grandkids and 5 great grandkids, so there's a lot of us. We shared memories and laughed and told her we loved her and that it was ok to let go. I got a call from my dad around 7:00 PM to let me know she had passed and went to meet her maker. She has been ready for this for the last 8 months. It's nice to know she is no longer in pain and can go off and drink her Manhattans and smoke her Menthols and walk and talk and be the grandma that I remember as a child.

I love you Grandma!

Linking up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment